Barry Miller Photography
Deganwy and Conwy
The shot above and below was taken from the car park of the Quay Hotel with thanks and help from a kind stranger who added perspective and a little glamour to the shot.
The Quay Hotel overlooks the marina on the opposite side of the River Conwy.
Deganwy (Middle Welsh Degannwy, Brythonic *Decantouion) is a village in Conwy County Borough in Wales with a population of 3,700.
It is in a more English-speaking region of north Wales, with only 1 in 4 residents speaking Welsh as a first language.
It is located south of Llandudno and to the east of Conwy, which is on the opposite side of the River Conwy,
and with which it forms the Conwy community. Indeed, the name Deganwy has been interpreted in modern times as Din-Gonwy,
which would mean "Fort on the River Conwy", however the historical spellings make it impossible for this to be the actual origin of the name.
A view of the Quay Hotel taken from Conwy side of the estuary.
Sculpture on Conwy Quay
Sunset at West Beach Llandudo 2014
The Park rear of Sirencester Parish Church.
Sandsend near Whitby North Yorkshire
The Mad Hatter
This is a wood sculpture on the prom at Llandudno by Simon Hedger
Carved as part of a four piece Alice in Wonderland commission for Conwy Council
to stand on the promenade in Llandudno, North wales.
Carved from a giant Oak tree sourced in Berkshire
Simon creates large installations for both the public and private sector. From the roots of traditional carving Simon specializes in figurative, interactive pieces that are developed through a constant flow of dialogue between himself and the client or community he is working with.
After an initial consultation Simon can produce detailed drawings of the sculptures and agree size, price, wood used and time scale before commencing work.
Simon's carvings are unique creations that have been researched so that they not only tell a story but also catch the imagination of all who see them.
Simon has full public liability and has chainsaw certification.
View across to Beaumaris(Biwmares) on the isle of Anglesey (Ynys Mon) taken from Great Ormes Head, Llandudno North Wales.
Settle Carlisle line through the North Pennines and the Yorkshire dales.
Ribblehead Viaduct Behind the Station Inn at Ribblehead
This is a close-up of nine of the twentyfour arches of the Ribblehead Viaduct
Tenby Harbour South Wales
Milford Haven Harbour South Wales
Caernarfon Castle............ (Welsh: Castell Caernarfon)
Caernarfon Castle (Welsh: Castell Caernarfon) is a medieval building in Gwynedd, north-west Wales. There was a motte-and-bailey castle in the town of Caernarfon from the late 11th century until 1283 when King Edward I of England began replacing it with the current stone structure. The Edwardian town and castle acted as the administrative centre of north Wales and as a result the defences were built on a grand scale. There was a deliberate link with Caernarfon's Roman past – nearby is the Roman fort of Segontium – and the castle's walls are reminiscent of the Walls of Constantinople.
While the castle was under construction, town walls were built around Caernarfon. The work cost between £20,000 and £25,000 from the start until the end of work in 1330. Despite Caernarfon Castle's external appearance of being mostly complete, the interior buildings no longer survive and many of the building plans were never finished. The town and castle were sacked in 1294 when Madog ap Llywelyn led a rebellion against the English. Caernarfon was recaptured the following year. During the Glyndŵr Rising of 1400–1415, the castle was besieged. When the Tudor dynasty ascended to the English throne in 1485, tensions between the Welsh and English began to diminish and castles were considered less important. As a result, Caernarfon Castle was allowed to fall into a state of disrepair.
Despite its dilapidated condition, during the English Civil War Caernarfon Castle was held by Royalists, and was besieged three times by Parliamentarian forces. This was the last time the castle was used in war. Caernarfon Castle was neglected until the 19th century when the state funded repairs. In 1911, Caernarfon Castle was used for the investiture of the Prince of Wales, and again in 1969. It is part of the World Heritage Site1]
The Singing Ringing Tree
The Singing Ringing Tree is a “Panopticon” sculpture made from galvanised tubing resembling a tree.
It is situated high up in the Penine range and it overlooks the mill town of Burnley in the county of Lancashire UK.
The image of the Singing Ringing Tree changes perception as your angles of view change and the sound from this structure is amazingly weird,
it rings and sings as the wind increases and decreases as it sweeps the bleak Lancashire moors.
You have to be there to experience it.
For more information on The Singing Ringing Tree go to:
For more data on Panopticons go to:
Above is a view over the mill town of Burnley in Lancashire from The Singing Ringing Tree.
Pendle hill can be seen in the background.
Above and below:
Another view of the Lancashire moors from The Singing Ringing Tree.
Here is where Yorkshire meets Lancashire, with the Pennines in the background.
Morecambe Bay (above & below)
From Morecambe looking towards Arnside and Silverdale.
Pine Lake ..Carnforth Lancs
Pine Lake (2)..Carnforth Lancs
York Castle Tower
Llandudno (West Beach)
The Great Orme with the Little Orme in the background and to the left.
River Hebden at Hebden Bridge Yorkshire
END OF PAGE